being parents is so exciting.
Planning and preparing for a newborn photo session can be confusing, especially if you are a new parent. You probably have a million questions about how a newborn session works.
- When is the best time to do the newborn session?
- Where should we have the session?
- When should we schedule the newborn photography session?
- Will the baby be awake or asleep during the photo session?
- What if the baby gets hungry during the session?
- What should we wear for the photo session?
- Can we use props during the session?
planning the session
I recommend that parents schedule their newborn sessions before the baby arrives to make sure they have a spot on my calendar, since I work full time as well! I prefer to book a date 7 to 10 days after your due date. I know that most babies do not arrive on that date, but it gives me an idea of when the session will actually happen.
Newborn sessions must be scheduled within the first 14 days of life. Though, the best time is between 4-7 days after their arrival. Babies tend to do better in the sessions within the first 7 days of their life because they sleep most of the time. The more they sleep the easier it is for me to move them around into the sweet sleepy newborn poses.
The newborn sessions take place in your home. Convenient for new moms and families to assure a comfortable setting for all. I bring everything, including wraps, bows, hats, flooring, backdrops, baskets, props, etc..
I also love taking lifestyle family photos on mom & dad’s bed and shooting in the nursery, especially if it is beautifully decorated.
Before I arrive
Natural light is the most flattering. The baby doesn't require much room, so the room with the most windows is best.
If light is not the greatest in your home, I have a studio light I can set up!
Babies Love Heat!
It is recommended that you keep your home a little warmer than usual for the session. Newborns are used to being in 98.6 degree temp of your womb. I want them to be comfortable when I get those cute naked baby shots. Heat also helps them sleep better.
A BLOW DRYER IS MAGIC!
- I love “milk drunk” babies! Please feed and burp the baby right before the session to ensure baby is happy and sleepy.
- Gather all the props you would like to use during the session.
- Schedule your session by your 2nd trimester for 5 to 7 days after your due date
- The session should be held before the baby is 14 days old (best is 4-7 days old)
- Have props & outfits out (if any)
- Heat up the room and allow natural light to shine
- Feed baby before session and loosen up diaper